Did You Know?

In diversity's embrace, immigrants thrive and unite.

leafleafDocy banner shape 01Docy banner shape 02Man illustrationFlower illustration

Prepare to arrive

Estimated reading: 3 minutes 95 views

If you’re already in Canada

We’ll contact you about next steps.

You’ll have to do a short interview with an immigration officer.

You have two options for your interview:

  • make an appointment at one of our offices in Canada (best option)
  • go to a Canadian “port of entry” (border crossing), and present:
    • proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family
    • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if we gave you one)

During the interview the officer will:

  • make sure all your documents are valid
  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada
  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)

If you change your address within 180 days of getting your status, you must tell us using the web form.

If you’re outside Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

When you arrive, you must have:

  • a valid passport and/or travel documents
    • Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You can’t immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • a valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
    • The officer will make sure you’re entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa (this document cannot be extended)
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the eligibility requirements to immigrate to Canada. These questions will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

You won’t be allowed into Canada:

  • if you give false or incomplete information or
  • if you don’t convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada

If you meet the requirements, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. They will also confirm your Canadian mailing address and have your permanent resident card mailed to you there.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify us using this online tool.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with more than CAN$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you don’t, you could be fined and your funds could be seized.

These funds could be in the form of:

  • cash
  • securities that belong to you (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
  • bankers’ drafts
  • cheques
  • travellers’ cheques
  • money orders

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, see the CBSA website to find out what you can and cannot bring into the country.

Leave a Comment

Share this Doc

Prepare to arrive

Or copy link