Did You Know?

Bold dreams cross borders, immigrant spirits soar.

leafleafDocy banner shape 01Docy banner shape 02Man illustrationFlower illustration

After you apply

Estimated reading: 6 minutes 106 views

Find out what you should do after you apply to come to Canada as a provincial nominee.

Changes to your application: How to contact us after you apply

To avoid processing delays, tell us about changes to your personal information as soon as possible.

Processing time

13 months

You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time includes the time you need to give your biometrics.

Yukon Community Pilot (YCP)

If you have a valid nomination for permanent residence from Yukon, you may be eligible for a 2-year open work permit.

Get your fingerprints and photo taken

If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for every application for permanent residence you submit to us. Even if you gave your biometrics in the past and they’re still valid.

  • You must pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays.
  • Get this done as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give biometrics.
  • You have 30 days to do this from the date on the letter.

Find out who needs to givehow to give, and where to give your biometrics.

You must let us know if:

  • you want to withdraw your application
  • your family composition changes, such as:
    • birth or adoption of a child
    • marriage or divorce
  • you change your immigration representative
  • your mailing address or email address changes
  • a province or territory withdraws your nomination
  • you do not plan to live in the province or territory nominating you

If there are any changes to your situation, let us know by filling in our web form.

How we assess your application

After you apply, we’ll check that you have:

  • filled out your application correctly
  • paid your processing fee
  • met all the requirements
  • included all documents

If you aren’t truthful in your application for permanent residence we may:

  • refuse your application
  • find you inadmissible
  • bar you for up to 5 years from applying for permanent resident status

We’ll contact you to:

  • confirm your application is complete
  • tell you what you need to do and what will happen next

If your application is not complete, we’ll reject it and refund your processing fees.

If you’re currently working in Canada

If your existing work permit is about to expire, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit. If you’re eligible, this permit can let you keep working while you wait for a final decision on your permanent residence application.

You’ll need the letter called “Acknowledgment of receipt – Application for permanent residence” to apply for a bridging open work permit.

Processing times

How long it takes us to process your application depends on which visa office is processing your application.

To avoid delays:

  • let us know if there are changes to your personal information
  • avoid contacting us more than once about the same issue

There may be delays with your application if:

  • there are criminal or security problems
  • we need to do more background checks
  • your family situation is not clear, such as:
    • a divorce or an adoption that is not yet complete
    • child custody issues that have not been resolved
  • a visa office has to contact our other offices in Canada or abroad to check your information

Check the application processing times and status of your application online.

Medical exams and police certificates

If you applied through the non-Express Entry process, we’ll tell you when to submit these documents.

Medical exams

You must have a medical exam before you come to Canada. Your family members must also have one, even if they’re not coming with you.

We won’t accept your application if your health:

  • is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety
  • would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada

Police certificates

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. You cannot enter Canada if you pose a risk to Canada’s security.

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory (except Canada) in which you spent 6 months in a row or more since the age of 18.

In some countries, it can take a long time to get a police certificate. Therefore, you may want to get them early.

Decision on your application

We’ll make a decision on your application based on if you:

  • meet the eligibility criteria for the program
  • have the funds to support yourself and your family when you arrive in Canada
  • are admissible to Canada, based on:
    • your medical exam
    • your police certificate
    • any other background information

If we need more information from you, we’ll let you know. We may also invite you to an interview.

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application, we’ll ask for your passport, or a photocopy of your passport. This depends on if you’re from a country where you need a visa to visit Canada.

You’ll need to pay your Right of Permanent Residence fee, if you haven’t already.

After you pay, we’ll issue you a:

  • confirmation of permanent residence (COPR)
  • permanent resident visa (if you are from a country where you need a visa)
  • letter with important information about your COPR and other requirements

Your COPR will have information about you as well as your photograph. Check to make sure the information on the COPR is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport.

If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact us by following the instructions we gave you.

You must have your COPR, and your visa (if you need one) with you when you arrive in Canada.

Get ready to settle in Canada

There are things you can do to prepare for life in Canada.

Before you arrive in Canada

After you arrive in Canada

Leave a Comment

Share this Doc

After you apply

Or copy link