Did You Know?

In diversity's embrace, immigrants thrive and unite.

leafleafDocy banner shape 01Docy banner shape 02Man illustrationFlower illustration

Documents for Express Entry

Estimated reading: 3 minutes 135 views

You need certain documents at different stages of the Express Entry application process.

Documents for your profile

You don’t need to upload documents to submit a profile, but you may need information from some or all of these documents:

  • a passport or travel document
    • Venezuelan passport holders: You may need to complete extra steps when you create a profile or fill out your application.
  • language test results
  • proof of Canadian education or an educational credential assessment report for immigration purposes if
    • you’re applying through the Federal Skilled Workers Program, or
    • you want to get points for the education you got outside Canada
  • provincial nomination (if you have one)
  • written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one)
  • proof of work experience
  • certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you have one)
  • proof of funds

Documents for your application for permanent residence

As of October 1, 2023, you no longer have to get an upfront medical exam before you submit your application for permanent residence through Express Entry. Find out when to get your medical exams and what documents you need to submit.

If we invite you to apply, you’ll need to upload copies of the documents you used for your profile (see list above). Most applicants will also need to upload the following:

  • police certificates
  • proof of funds
  • birth certificate, if you’re declaring dependent children
  • Use of a Representative form (PDF, 137 KB), if you’ve hired a representative
  • common-law union form (PDF, 2.22 MB), if you’ve declared your marital status as “common-law”
  • marriage certificate, if you’ve declared your marital status as “married”
  • divorce certificate and legal separation agreement, if you’ve declared your marital status as “divorced”
  • death certificate, if you’ve declared your marital status as “widowed”
  • adoption certificate, when a dependent child is listed as “adopted”

Other documents

You only need to submit these if we included them in your personalized document checklist. Your application may not be refused or rejected if you don’t submit these documents. They’re only used to check if you meet the requirements of the program you’re applying for.

Leave a Comment

Share this Doc

Documents for Express Entry

Or copy link