Did You Know?

Resilience fuels migrants, forging paths to triumph.

leafleafDocy banner shape 01Docy banner shape 02Man illustrationFlower illustration

Scan and upload documents

Estimated reading: 3 minutes 154 views

You must submit all of the required documents. The system gives you a personalized document checklist once you’ve completed all of the fields in the online form. Get all the documents that are on your checklist.

Translation of documents

If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload

  • an English or French translation that’s
    • stamped by a certified translator
      • The translator should photocopy your original document and stamp it if that’s what they based the translation on.
      • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated. You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator.
    • or
    • accompanied by an affidavit from the person who completed the translation
      • Use this option only if a translation cannot be completed by a certified translator.
      • Both the translated document and the original document the translator worked from must be referred to in the affidavit.
  • a scan of the original document, or a scan of a certified photocopy of the original document that the translator worked from
    • You only need to provide a scan of a certified photocopy of the original document if the translation was based on the certified photocopy.

Find out if your translator is certified

A certified translator is a member in good standing of a professional translation association in Canada or abroad. Their certification must be confirmed by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s membership number.

A translator in the process of receiving their certification or accreditation is not considered a certified translator for IRCC’s purposes.

What is an affidavit

An affidavit for a translation is a document that states the translation is an accurate version of the original text.

The translator swears in front of a commissioner, who is authorized to administer oaths in the country where they live, that their translation of the original document is accurate. The commissioner or notary public must be proficient in English or French in order to administer the oath.

Who can take an affidavit

In Canada, an affidavit can be taken by a

  • notary public
  • commissioner of oaths
  • commissioner of taking affidavits

Outside Canada, an affidavit can be taken by a notary public or equivalent.

Who can’t take an affidavit

Affidavits must not be taken by

  • the applicant themselves
  • any member of the applicant’s family, even if they’re a lawyer, notary or authorized translator, including
    • parents
    • guardians
    • siblings
    • spouses
    • common-law partners
    • conjugal partners
    • grandparents
    • children
    • aunts or uncles
    • nieces or nephews
    • first cousins

Expiring passports

You must have a valid passport to come to Canada.

If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, when you get your new passport, update your passport information in your application. This will ensure it’s valid when we process your application, and avoid additional delays.

Once you have your documents

Make electronic copies using a scanner or camera. Make sure you use one of the formats we accept.

Once you have your documents ready, upload them in your document checklist.

Leave a Comment

Share this Doc

Scan and upload documents

Or copy link